Thursday 6 August 2009

Moral Dilemma

Last night I binned another two tomato plants that had blight. Leaves on other plants are beginning to show sign of being infected too. I have been looking on the web for advice. Click for more info from the RHS or Allotment Growing

The only remedy available is to use the fungicide Dithane 945. Now I'm in a quandary because I don't use chemicals in the garden. It seems I have the choice of no tomatoes or to spray - if it's not already too late. I didn't grow tomatoes last year because I lost them all the year before. It appears that blight really has got a hold in the area. Apparently tomatoes grown in a greenhouse are less likely to be affected but that's not an option for me here.

When I am in town later I'll see if I can find any Dithane and read the packet before making a final decision. I am leaning towards trying the fungicide this year on my remaining plants as they represent quite an investment in time and money but not bothering to grow tomatoes here in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment