Monday 9 November 2009

Over the past week I cleared a part of the vegetable patch and put in some onion sets, garlic and broad beans. I had bought the onion sets from Marshalls and they arived a month or so ago in a net bag inside a padded envelop. I had opened the packet but left the sets inside it. The envelop had resealed itself so when I opened it some of the sets had rotted and many were already sprouting. I think that I got to them in the nick of time! We don't have a lot of space so I planted them about 6 inches apart in short rows.

I didn't buy new garlic this year. Instead I split up one of the largest bulbs that I lifted at the end of the summer into individual cloves and planted them.

The broad beans are the variety Aquadulce Claudia which are for autumn planting. I have put in a double row planting the beans 8 inches apart in two rows 12 inches apart.

And I finished clearing out the drainage grills around the garage. I know that there are still a lot of leaves  on the trees to come down but our worst time for fallen leaves is late March when the beech hedge suddenly looses all of it's leaves in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment