Saturday 25 July 2009

Garden News

Pond clearing and the weather have conspired to keep me from doing a great deal in the garden recently. I am now picking courgettes and beans are appearing on the Kenyan bean plants in the troughs but the tomatoes are going to need an Indian Summer. I had to remove the foliage from the potato plants growing in sacks as the leaves were showing signs of disease. I have been waiting for the weather to improve before splitting the sacks open to see what we've got. Maybe if it stays dry today I'll get to do that this evening. I have a few more seed potatoes that I was planning to start in bags but I'm now in two minds whether to or not. I'll make up my mind when I've opened the three remaining bags.

This year I tried growing spinach in a pot. I had three pickings before the plants began to bolt during the hot spell in June (remember that?!). Not a big success but I think I will give it another go over the autumn. I am also growing carrots in pots for the first time. I am growing a carrot fly resistant variety and have planted chives in the centre of the pot as a companion so that their smell will confuse the flies noses. It will be interesting to see how the carrots turn out. The pots certainly look attractive anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment