Sunday 5 July 2009

In the Garden

For years there have been a couple of box plants in pots at the top of the steps. A few years ago lots of the leaves turned orange (possibly because the plants dried out sometime?). The leaves never fell off but the plants didn't green up either. I thought they would have to go but decided to give them one last chance. So a few months ago I cut them back very hard and put them to one side. The plants decided they wanted to grow although it was hard to see them though the weeds. My intention this morning was to repot them. However it soon became apparent that the only way to get them out of the pots would be to break the pots! One of the pots already has a crack but as I didn't have any replacements to hand I simply removed the weeds, excavated around the plants and added some slow release fertiliser and fresh compost to the top.

New this year are 6 strawberry plants in pots on top of the wall. I have been suprised and delighted that we have had some large, tasty strawberries in this their first year. But disappointed that the woodlice often seem to get there first - advice as to how to deter them would be apreciated. They are now sending out runners. I cut them back so the plants put their energy into growing rather than reproducing. Some little plantlets had a few small roots so I stuck them into pots to give them a chance to grow - and hopefully reward us with more fruit next year.

I finished off today's sojourn in the garden by washing up some plant pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment