Thursday 30 July 2009

Semi-standard Holly

A few years ago a Christmas magazine was handed on to me. In it there was an advert for standard holly bushes as Christmas decorations. I thought that a couple of these would look great either side of the front door in the winter. The following year I looked out for some, trawling the web etc but couldn't find any. It crossed my mind that I could grow my own but thought that I would have to grow a male plant as well as two females to get good berrying. Last year in a nearby garden centre I came across some self-pollinating holly. The variety is Ilex aquifolium JC Van Tol. It has dark, alost spineless green leaves and large red berries (yet to be seen on my specimens!). Last year I trained the main stem to a semi-standard height and I have now started to train the head. One of the plants has a few berries on it but I think that it will be another couple of years before they give a good display.

No comments:

Post a Comment