Wednesday 29 July 2009

Oh no, I don't believe it!

Bad news from the garden. The tomatoes are succumbing to blight. I've removed one plant and put it in the bin but the plant that was next to it is beginning to look sick. I've cut off some of it's leaves in the desperate hope that it might be OK. I'm not alone with this problem. Everyone I've asked says the same is happening to their plants. It's very disappointing. I didn't grow tomatoes last year as I lost them all to blight the year before. Please, please, please can we have a dry spell.

The mammoth garlic has been something else that hasn't done well in the garden. I bought 6, very expensive, cloves. Only 4 came up and one of those died off. Of the 3 that were left one is the size of a small onion and the other two about the size of large shallots. I've yet to cook them so can't comment on their taste like yet.

The shallots however have done very well. I've lifted them to help them ripen and they are about the size of small onions. I guess that I won't be pickling any of them this year - I could only get 3 or 4 in a jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment